St Martin's Church, Worle.

The first church of St Martin in Worle was built early in the 12th century and probably completed almost 900 years ago in AD 1125.

Ancient Worle

Worle is one of few places hereabouts which has never changed its name. Known as Worle when William the Conqueror arrived in 1066 this spelling has stayed with us for nearly one thousand years.  Parts of the original Norman Church are still visible in the 21st century.  The Norman arch inside the south door is a good example and substantial parts of the south wall are also 12th century.

 

50 Vicars of St. Martins

The first known appointed vicar of St. Martin's Church Worle was Elias de Coleshull in 1325, so for the first 200 years we do not know how the Church was administered.  A list of the vicars is given on the marble tablet on the west wall inside the Church.  Two files, containing all the available information about each of the vicars up to number 45 is available to researchers on request.  Many of the vicars since  Rev. Eric Vallance Cook are still alive or have family and friends still living, and will need to be recorded by future generations.

 

Worle History Society Archive

Files and books relating to St Martin’s Church
Vicars of Worle

Vicars of Worle                  numbers 1 to 38         Pink file
Vicars of Worle                       numbers 39 to 50       Orange file
Rev. Alfred Cecil Harman             number 40                  Purple, slim file


Somerset Incumbents             1311 to c 1730            Green cover.  Original in Br. Mus.

 

Records of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials

Baptisms                                 1771 to 1901               Green, slim bound book
Marriages                               1755 to 1901               Green, slim bound book

 

Churchyard Records with inscriptions and pictures

Database of graves              Collected 2013            Red file, downstairs, copy in
                                                                                    Church and on website

 

Section A                 Top graveyard Near Church       Blue file
   Section B                                 Top west                      Green file
  Section C                                 Top east                      Yellow file
Section D                                 Bottom NW                 Red file
Section E                                 Bottom centre W        Black file
Section F                                  Bottom SW                  Blue file
  Section G                                 Bottom NE                   Green file
  Section H                                 Bottom centre E          Yellow file
Section I                                  Bottom SE                   Red file
Section J                                  Bottom south              Black file
The Maid in Mold                   Oldest grave                    Slim red file

 

Parochial Interest

Parish Magazine                     17 articles 2017                            Pink file


Parochial Minutes                   Limited number          Bells tower minutes
Interior Memorials                 46 recorded                Orange file downstairs
Wedding pictures                    work in progress         White file, downstairs.


900 Years of Power & G.        Jenny & Stanley T.       WHS Library upstairs
Let All the Bells Ring               James Dowland           WHS Library upstairs
Benjamin’s Son                       Peter H. Schurr           Raye’s Library Rev. Kent
Cheers Sir                 C. L Harman                Raye’s Library Rev. Cecil Harman
A Walk around St. Martins     Raye Green                 The Church and Worle WHS Lib

 

Pictures through time

2010:  Ancient and Modern

Our wonderful old church greeting the workers home.  Taken on long exposure by Nick Smart.

1966:  Widening of Church Road

The Church and the Monastic Barn watching developments with a critical eye, no doubt.

1912:  The trees have been pruned!

In 2012 we set out to identify the 20 graves in this photograph.  18  are named and 2 remain unknown.  Report available on request.

St Martin's in its surroundings.

Probably 1920, if we take the graveyard as our guide.  Lovely view of surrounding cottages.

 >>

Contact us with any information or queries

 

 

email us at

rayegreen@talktalk.net

 

or phone us at

 

01934 516773

 News

Print Print | Sitemap
Contact us at rayegreen@talktalk.net, or phone 01934 516773